Figs, commonly known as anjeer in India, are a great source of nutrients. These green-coloured fruits, when cut open, have pink flesh and numerous mustard-seed-sized seeds.
In addition, anjeers have a sweet flavour and are quite low in calories, making them an ideal snack for those looking to lose weight. This superfood can be enjoyed fresh or dried and is an excellent addition to your diet.
Nutritional Values of Anjeer
Understanding the nutritional values of figs before incorporating them into your lifestyle is essential. To give you an overview, you can refer to the following values.
As per the USDA, one hundred grams of a dried and uncooked fig consists of the following nutrients:
- Water: 30g
- Energy: 249 kCal
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 0.93g
- Carbohydrates: 63.9g
- Fibre: 9.8g
- Vitamin C: 1.2mg
Anjeers are fat-free, cholesterol-free, and rich in proteins, fibres, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
This combination that reduces cravings and keeps you fuller for longer makes anjeer incredibly beneficial for weight loss. Figs are also a symbol of longevity, as they can help to prevent many diseases.
Is Anjeer (Figs) Good for Weight Loss?
Figs prove to give out the following benefits when it comes to weight loss:
Satisfies Sweet Cravings
If you are on a diet for weight loss and still craving something sweet, you can safely indulge in a fully ripe or well-dried fig.
It will provide the necessary sweet taste you require to curb your dessert cravings Scientific studies suggest that a low-fat and low-calorie diet is one of the most effective ways for weight loss.
Fibre Content Keeps You Full For Longer
Since figs are packed with fibre, eating them can help you feel fuller for longer and reduce the urge to snack between meals. It can be beneficial for maintaining a healthy weight.
Epidemiological research has indicated that increased dietary fibre consumption is linked to lower body weight. It is due to increased feelings of satiety and reduced energy intake.
Additionally, it can help provide energy throughout the day, reduce fatigue, and keep carbohydrate and food intake to a minimum.
Rich In Antioxidants
A study found that fresh and dried figs are rich in phytochemicals. Phytochemicals, such as phenolic acids and flavonoids, are potent antioxidants.
These phytonutrients can help a person maintain good health, including aiding in weight loss. Furthermore, fibre lowers cholesterol levels and improves bowel movements. All of this leads to a healthier life.
Keeps Active Despite Being Low on Calories
Although figs are full of nutrients, they are low in calories. As the nutritional data suggests, figs contain very few calories, even less than other fruits. Therefore, you can enjoy this fruit of longevity guilt-free!
The HealthifyMe Note
Figs, whether fresh or dried, can help with weight loss. That is because they are high in fibre and low in calories, which makes them an excellent choice for those looking to shed a few pounds. These fruits, known in India as anjeer, have been eaten since ancient times due to their nutritional value and medicinal properties. With HealthifyMe Pro 2.0, you can learn precisely how many figs to include in your diet for maximum weight-loss benefits.
Ways to Eat Anjeer (Figs) for Weight Loss
Raw Consumption of Fresh Figs
If you’re looking for a sweet treat, try a fully ripened fig. It will be larger than an unripened one, with a shade of brown and purple. There’s no need to peel the skin or worry about the seeds – just eat it as a whole and enjoy the taste!
Consumption of Cooked Figs
You can eat anjeer raw as a ripened fruit or roast, bake, grill, caramelise or broil it and enjoy its crunchiness.
- To do so, start by cleaning the figs and patting them dry with a paper towel.
- Later, slice them in half vertically, starting from their stem to their blossoming end.
- Next, add these sliced figs, some honey, and a slice of lemon to a dish.
- Later, put them in an oven under 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or roast them on a medium flame for 20 minutes.
- One can enjoy these roasted figs hot or store them in a freezer.
- This process includes stuffing the figs. So you must cut the fig on its four sides so that its inside is exposed and not completely cut.
- Later, in a separate pan, add some butter and slightly heat these figs.
- On the other hand, take another pan and put butter in it. Later, add some cinnamon, honey and any fruit juice.
- Now, add the butter, honey and juice solution to the figs and put them in an oven for 10 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Lastly, when they are cooled down, top them with some yoghurt when they are cooled down and enjoy them.
- Procure some fresh and medium-ripened figs.
- Next, in a grill pan, put the cleaned, dried figs and ensure to grill them under they acquire a golden colour.
- Flip them on both sides until the fig becomes tender and soft.
- Lastly, enjoy these fruits with any healthy sauce or plain.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat some butter.
- Next, add some honey and vanilla and stir them for 2 minutes.
- Later, add the figs cut into cubes and cook them for some time until they are tender.
- Then, add dry fruits like hazelnut or badam and saute them.
- Lastly, serve this dish with yoghurt.
To have a bite of a tasty dried anjeer, one can use the following method:
- Drying Under the Sun:
- Start by cleaning your anjeers well and thoroughly under water, preferably cold.
- Next, dry them with a cloth, tissue or a paper towel, whichever is available.
- Later, cut it in half in a vertical shape, from the stem to the fruit’s blossom end.
- After that, arrange the slices you’ve made on a clean tray. Then, cover that tray with a thin, soft cotton cloth or baking paper.
- Finally, let the tray filled with Anjeer slices dry under the sun by putting it in your sunny spots. Then, after the sunset, bring the tray inside.
- Repeat this process for at least 5-6 days. Regardless, the drying duration varies depending on the climatic conditions of your surroundings.
- When the slices are dried adequately with a crunchy feel, you can store them in air-tight containers.
- Later, you can store those containers in your refrigerator or at room temperature.
Your health should be your number one priority. To maintain a healthy lifestyle, one must make sacrifices, particularly in the face of obesity, a global problem. Eating fewer calories and carbohydrates is a great way to lose weight and stay in shape.
Figs have exceptional nutritional properties and offer many health benefits, so eating them is a great way to control weight and reduce fat around the abdominal area.
HealthifyMe provides the perfect opportunity for anyone wanting to lose weight.
The expert nutritionists can create a customised plan for you based on your health condition and provide dietary tips for making your journey to a healthier weight successful. The HealthifyMe app provides access to various healthy recipes, including amla juice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How many Anjeer to eat daily for weight loss?
A. Anjeer or figs are a great snack for weight loss. Eating a small handful (approximately 5-6 pieces) of anjeer daily can help to reduce cravings and keep you feeling full throughout the day. Eating anjeer daily can help control hunger, boost metabolism, and promote weight loss.
Q. Do figs burn belly fat?
A. Figs are a healthy snack option that may help promote weight loss, including the fat loss in the abdominal area. They contain a good amount of dietary fibre, which helps reduce appetite and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Additionally, the natural sweetness of figs can help satisfy sugar cravings and reduce your overall calorie intake. It may ultimately lead to decreased belly fat. Figs are also high in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and improve digestion, contributing to belly fat loss.
Q. What is the best time to eat Anjeer?
A. The best time to eat anjeer for weight loss is in the morning, before breakfast. Eating anjeer in the morning can help regulate blood sugar levels, which can help prevent cravings throughout the day and reduce the risk of overeating. Additionally, anjeer is rich in dietary fibre and can help keep you feeling full for longer, which can help suppress cravings.
Q. What are the disadvantages of Anjeer?
A. Anjeer promotes easy digestion and helps with constipation due to its fewer laxatives. However, when one consumes them in excess daily, they can experience diarrhoea or loose stools. Also, overconsumption of this fruit can lead to liver and intestine issues in the long run.
Q. Is Anjeer high in sugar?
A. Compared to fresh Anjeer, the dried ones are slightly higher in sugar. Although, people with diabetes can have anjeer as it is easy to digest. However, it is best to eat dried or fresh anjeer by monitoring your sugar levels. Fortunately, with HealthifyMe pro 2.0, one can keep an eye on the sugar levels of their food intake.
Q. Do figs have side effects?
A. Just like any other food, figs, too, have some side effects, especially when one consumes them in larger quantities. Overconsumption of this fruit can result in diarrhoea, loose stools, and blood thinning as they increase haemoglobin. Also, anjeer can cause rhinitis, anaphylactic shock or conjunctivitis due to its chemical composition.
The Research Sources
1. U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, Data Type: SR Legacy | Food Category: Fruits and Fruit Juices | FDC ID: 174665 | NDB Number:9094 | FDC Published:4/1/2019
2. Arvaniti, Olga & Samaras, Yiannis & Gatidou, Georgia & Thomaidis, Nikolaos & Stasinakis, Athanasios. (2019). Review on fresh and dried figs: Chemical analysis and occurrence of phytochemical compounds, antioxidant capacity and health effects. Food Research International. 119. 10.1016/j.foodres.2019.01.055.
3. Kim JY. Optimal Diet Strategies for Weight Loss and Weight Loss Maintenance. J Obes Metab Syndr. 2021 Mar 30;30(1):20-31. doi: 10.7570/jomes20065. PMID: 33107442; PMCID: PMC8017325.
4. Clark MJ, Slavin JL. The effect of fibre on satiety and food intake: a systematic review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2013;32(3):200-11. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2013.791194. PMID: 23885994.