The Whole30 program is a 30-day elimination diet with a focus on eating whole foods, including meat, seafood, eggs, fruits, vegetables, natural fats, herbs, seasonings, and spices. According to the Whole30 website, the following foods are avoided for 30 days: all sugars and artificial sweeteners, alcohol, grains, legumes (beans, peanuts, soy), dairy, carrageenan, MSG, sulfites, baked goods, and junk food. There is not one specific outcome the program targets, but proponents report benefits from feeling better to having fewer cravings to identifying food sensitivities.
When a diet eliminates several food groups, meal planning becomes more laborious. That’s where Whole30 meal delivery services come in—you can let someone else do the work for you by putting together meals with Whole30-approved ingredients. We scoured the market for the best Whole30 meal delivery services and compared them based on cost, availability, and more.
Eat the 80 is our best Whole30 meal delivery service because of its full slate of options, including the ability to order up to more than two dozen meals per week. The service is also officially approved by the Whole30 program. Eat the 80 delivers to the continental U.S., making it available to 48 states.
Guide to Choosing the Best Whole30 Meal Delivery Services
Is Whole30 Right for You?
“Whole30 is not for everyone. In fact, it’s not for most people,” says Nicole Stefanow, M.S., RDN. “Although you may experience weight loss due to the restrictive nature of the program, it is not a weight loss diet. Whole30 is an elimination challenge, which is closer to a diagnostic tool than a diet.”
If you are considering a Whole30 eating plan, consider these factors:
- Food Sensitivities: Whole30 may be able to help you identify foods you are sensitive to. However, it’s recommended to work with your doctor and a dietitian before doing an elimination diet.
- Reset: If you feel like you have not been eating healthful foods, Whole30 brings the focus back to whole foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. Keep in mind that this is only meant to be followed for 30 days and that continuing to eliminate several food groups over time could cause nutrient deficiencies.
Comparing Whole30 Meal Delivery Services
When comparing meal delivery services, look for companies that have a specific Whole30 menu plan. If they don’t have one, look for the ability to customize and filter foods and ingredients to manually customize the recipes to fit Whole30 as much as possible. Paleo meal plans, for example, closely fit Whole30. Cost, availability, and cooking time are also considerations.
These factors should be considered in your search:
- Whole30 Meal Plan: Look for Whole30-approved meal delivery services by checking the website for a Whole30 Meal Plan. This means they have done the work for you in terms of nixing the food groups that aren’t allowed.
- Customization: If a specific Whole30 meal plan is not available, look for companies that provide the option to filter out unwanted ingredients so you can manually create a Whole30 plan or look for a Paleo meal plan.
- Cost: Compare the cost per serving to see what fits within your budget. Ordering fewer meals per week or skipping a week every so often will save money.
- Cooking Time: Do you want a meal kit with ingredients ready for you to cook or a fully cooked meal that only needs to be reheated? Different companies have different offerings.
Incorporating Whole30 Into Your Lifestyle
The Whole30 program isn’t meant to be followed forever. Perhaps you do it once, once a year, or once a quarter. When you do, ordering from a Whole30 meal delivery service can make your life easier by saving time. The great thing about meal delivery services is that most can be paused, canceled, or restarted at any time. Consider how often you will use Whole30 meal delivery services, how many meals and servings you will order, and what type of meals you want.
- How Often: Consider your schedule for the Whole30 program and whether you want to order a meal delivery service every time you do it. Perhaps you aren’t following Whole30 but you like the meals in the Whole30 meal delivery service and choose to order them every so often when you’re in a cooking rut.
- The Number of Meals: Decide if you want the Whole30 meal delivery service to provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner or just dinners. Choosing a service that provides all meals makes it easier to stick to the program, but it is more expensive and not all companies have this option.
- The Number of Servings: Are you the only person in your household ordering the Whole30 meal kits or will others be eating the meals as well? This will determine if you choose single-serving meal kits or kits with additional servings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Begin An Elimination Diet Using a Whole30 Meal Delivery Service?
Yes. In fact, it might be easier to start with a Whole30 approved meal plan instead of doing all the work yourself. These services follow Whole30 standards and offer meals that fit into this diet.
How Much Do Whole30 Meal Delivery Services Cost?
The cost varies by company. The lowest price per serving for the Whole30 meal kits listed here ranges from $10.49 to $14. Most companies offer a first-time discount, which can significantly reduce the price, but only for your first order. The more meals you order, the lower the price per serving, but the overall cost will be more. Some companies offer free shipping.
To curate this list of the best Whole30 meal delivery services, we looked for meal delivery companies that offered a specific Whole30-approved meal plan or the ability to customize and filter to manually fit meals to Whole30. Most of the meals listed are heat and eat because there were limited to no options for Whole30 meal kits that came with ingredients you cook yourself. We took into account cost, customization options, ability to filter allergens, and availability.